Oh hey there. I guess you've decided to read my blog. Good for you! While you're at it, post a comment or join the Awesome Club. Let me know what you think. Refer other blogs you think I'll like. You might be wrong, but hey, at least you tried.

Friday, July 5, 2013

Driving is the most expensive prescription for my obsessive anxiety.

I think gas prices might far exceed the cost of any pill that would help.
But you know, I feel like the pills might be far less effective.

My truck roars when you crank the key in the ignition.  I know it's cliche, but it does.  It's a '94, so I crank my window down manually... but it's worth it when the air is rushing past the windshield and into my lungs.

While I love driving in general, it's the most cathartic at night.  I can forget there is a world past the barrier of light my headlights create.

Maybe I just drive at night because that's when I'm the most anxious.  I try to sleep and I find that my mind won't stop reeling. I can't stop worrying and obsessing and my heart clenches tight in my chest until I'm forced out of bed.

I used to drive the back roads back and forth between my school's two campuses...
Now I drive a route that takes me to a place where there are no streetlights, no houses, and plenty of fog.  When the sky is clear, it's the starriest sky I've ever seen.  When it isn't, it's the blackest place and it's like no one can reach me.

Sounds peaceful right?

Well, not exactly.  If driving was too peaceful, too quiet: well, I'd be right back where I started.  I might as well have stayed in bed and let my thoughts burn me down.

So I give myself a musical lobotomy, courtesy of my "Clear My Head" playlist, which I'm sharing with everyone:

Eyeless- Slipknot
Sic- Slipknot
Duality- Slipknot
Shameful- Atreyu
Bleeding Mascara- Atreyu 
You Eclipsed by Me- Atreyu
Unholy Confessions- Avenged Sevenfold
Desecrate Through Reverence- Avenged Sevenfold
Second Heartbeat- Avenged Sevenfold
Almost Easy- Avenged Sevenfold
Scream- Avenged Sevenfold
I Won't See You Tonight (Part 2)- Avenged Sevenfold
Bat Country- Avenged Sevenfold
I'm a Fake- The Used
Take It Away-The Used
A Box Full of Sharp Objects- The Used
Counting Bodies Like Sheep to the Rhythm of the War Drums- A Perfect Circle
4 Words (To Choke Upon)- Bullet For My Valentine
All These Things I Hate (Revolve Around Me)- Bullet For My Valentine
Tears Don't Fall (Part 2)- Bullet For My Valentine
Just Stop- Disturbed
Diefy- Disturbed
Stricken- Disturbed
Down With The Sickness- Disturbed
Ten Thousand Fists - Disturbed


I have been known to "sing" along to this playlist, and lose my voice for a couple of hours afterward.

If you don't like screaming, I don't recommend my music. I, however, do like it.  I like to let my music scream for me, when I can't. Or...when I just can't scream loud enough.

The lyrics just take my random, cluttered, persistent thoughts and order them into words, lines, stanzas, choruses:

"Far away, you keep on trying...
Holding me down, breaking away,
trying to distance my life.
Not one in the crowd, but one with the answer
the one that could change your mind

It's not true, I don't need you
Don't waste your time, and don't waste mine
I'm not your friend, won't soothe your soul
And in the end you're all dead to me...."

"Here's to lowering caskets of old friends, 
through choice and consequence we'll birth a new day 
with the death of an old and (Start over, start over)
here's to burying hatchets in those 
who you'd never call your friends
we'll birth a new day with the death of an old and (Start over, start over)"

"Did you take me for a fool
Or were you just too blind to see
That every effort made has failed
And there is no destroying me"

"Here comes the pain!
Enemy, show me what you wanna be.
I can handle anything, even if I can't handle you."


"I feel insane every single time I'm asked to compromise
‘Cause I'm afraid and stuck in my ways and that’s the way it stays
So how long did I expect love to outweigh ignorance?
By that look on your face I may have forced the scale to tip"




You get the idea.  I like my drama.  I like my screaming.  I love my truck.  I love empty road. I love speakers that shake the whole car and rattle the anxiety from my spine with every crescendo.

The road gives me something to focus on.  The music guides my breathing and lyrics replace thoughts.

After I get back from my drive I'm emotionally exhausted. I feel like I've let my thoughts and feelings get physically beaten from my body.  I feel comfortably numb...at least enough to sleep.

Some people might say I'm running from my problems.  I disagree.





I'm doing so much better than that.  I'm driving from them.  I hope my problems enjoy the acrid smell of burnt rubber and the sting of flying gravel as I leave them in the dust, because I won't stop anytime soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment. Or don't, but I mean, you're already here.